What is IoT?
“Internet of Things (IoT) is an integrated part of future Internet and could be defined as a dynamic global network infrastructure with self-configuring capabilities based on standard and interoperable communication protocols where physical and virtual ‘things’ have identities, physical attributes, and virtual personalities and use intelligent interfaces, and are seamlessly integrated into the information network”
What is IoT NOT?
- Ubiquitous passive computing: this does not require object or internet infra
- IP: not linked to a specific protocol
- Communication technology: IOT requires communication but it not prescribes how it must be done
- Embedded device (like RFID): there must be a information infrastructure backend
- Applications: combination of hardware and software
- The internet of people: objects are an important aspect
- Intranet or Extranet of Things: not limited to a small group of stakeholders (=closed-loop instead of open-loop)
In this presentation following topics are coffered
- What is IoT?
- What does IoT Architecture looks like?
- What is Communications Platform as a Service (CPaaS)?
- What is Intelligent Cloud and Intelligent Edge (Azure Edge)?
- What is Open Platform Communication’s Unified Architecture (OPC-UA)?