In the Passionate Programmer, Chad Fowler describes ways you can have “a remarkable career in software engineering.”
He organizes the advice using 5 axes:
- Choose your market
- You lead or you bleed. You need to find your competitive advantage and cultivate it.
- Invest in your product
- Learn from the best and mentor the rest.
- Execute your daily strategy
- Focus on what you can realize in a day and deliver something every day
- Market yourself
- Translate your knowledge in c-speak and speak up in your field of expertise
- Maintain your edge
- Skills age very fast so make sure you learn and improve your knowledge every day